Friday, March 19, 2010

Cocoa Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies

Mmmm, delicious. C gave me her bottle of peppermint extract to experiment for a while. First on the list, mint cookies! I just made the first batch and they are deliciously soft, chocolaty and minty. After cooling they are still soft and taste like mint-chocolate chip ice cream (my favorite) in cookie form. Divine.
  • scant 3/4 c butter (<1.5 stick), room temp
  • 1/2 c sugar, scant
  • 1/2 c brown sugar, scant
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 t peppermint extract
  • 1 3/4 c flour
  • 1/4 c cocoa (I used Hintz)
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 c Hershey's really mildly sweet dark chocolate chips
  1. Mash butter. Add sugars. Combine until creamy.
  2. Add egg. Mix thoroughly.
  3. In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa (sift if chunky), soda and salt.
  4. Add extracts to wet mixture and mix.
  5. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir until just combined.
  6. Dump in chips and mix until spread evenly.
  7. Drop spoonfuls of dough on non-greased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake 180C for 8-15 minutes, depending on your oven and level of crispiness desired.
Notes
  • The original called for greasing the sheet. I only greased half the sheet the first batch, and there wasn't a difference, so might as well skip this extra step.
  • These cookies supposedly get very crispy if baked for too long. I like mine soft, so planned on baking 9 min. However, the mini-oven I use often doesn't seem to finish as quickly as a full sized oven, so the first batch I left in for 15 minutes. Second batch I started at above middle. They are incredibly soft out of the oven, and then later the outside crisps up a little bit.
  • I made this again 2 days later, and the cookies came out flat. I eyeballed the butter both times - the first time was less than 3/4 c and the second time was probably a bit over 3/4 c. Definitely go with less butter for a thicker cookie.
  • 6/10/10 Doubled the recipe.

    No comments: